Thursday, January 14, 2010

So about a month ago, I was teasing Alana about how her "hair was getting too long, and I'm going to chop it all off."  She of course was emphatic in her refusal to let me chop off all of her hair, but then I had a thought.  I explained Locks of Love to her...how if she wanted to donate her hair to this organization, they would be able to make wigs for little girls and boys who had lost their hair.  We explained that her hair would grow back if she chose to cut it, and that it would be good to help other people.  After explaining everything to her and assuring her that if she didn't want to that would be fine, she made the decision to do it.



Alana--Pre-haircut



Holly goes to Alana's class every Monday to help out for an hour or so and she was talking to Chelsey Harms, who has a daughter in the class and is also a hairdresser.  Chelsey had seen the hats Holly made for the Ryan family for Christmas and wanted one for her kids, so they worked out a trade, Alana's haircut for a couple of hats...and the rest is history.

Looking a little pensive just prior to getting in the chair.


Rebekah sporting her stylish cap that Holly made her for Christmas.
(she was going to get a haircut too but got scared at the last minute and said no.)


In the chair


Getting ready for the snipparoo--


and snip, snip, snip...it was off.


of course Patrick couldn't care less as it was nap time and he was tired.



Alana proudly showing off her "locks of love."



and some pictures of the follow-up...we wanted it to look good and all.



Now of course you're asking...where is a picture of the finished product...well, the batteries died on the camera before the hair cut was finished, and my studio equipment is all piled up so I can finish the floor of the studio...once that is done, I'll get a portrait of Alana's new hairdo and post it.

Holly and I are extremely pleased that our daughter would choose to donate something of her own to help out someone she doesn't even know, we may never donate millions of dollars to charity, but we give where we can and it was a great experience for all of us.  Rebekah is talking about wanting to do it when her hair is long enough. (10 inch minimum)  If she waits until she is 6, it should be the right length.

If you are interested in donating or allowing your kids to donate, you can go to


2 comments:

Doris said...

Good for you, Alana! You look very cute with your bob, and I'm excited to see more pictures. Thanks for the post, Jef. Keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

We are proud of you Alana!! You're new hairdoo is terrrrriffffiiiicccc! We love it!
Grandpa and Grandma